Child Care FAQs


What resources/services are available to parents?

Financial assistance if all of the following apply to your situation:

(You must meet the income guidelines which are based on family size and income)

  • You need child care in order to work, attend school, or receive training. You must be working or enrolled in school or a training program for a minimum of 25 hours per week for a single-parent home or 50 hours per week for both parents in a two-parent home

  • You live in the Middle Rio Grande 9 County Area

  • Your child(ren) is under the age of 13


Does Workforce Solutions provide child care services?

Workforce Solutions Middle Rio Grande offers subsidized child care services throughout the 9 counties of the Middle Rio Grande Region. To be eligible for child care services, families must meet income guidelines and be working, in school, or in training. Child care is arranged based on the family’s needs, and the parent determines who will provide the care for their own child.


What types of child care can you choose?


  • Licensed Child Care Centers

    • ​May care for 13 or more children under the age of 14 for less than 24 hours per day.

  • Licensed Child Care Homes

    • ​May care for 7-12 children under the age of 14 for less than 24 hours per day. Licensed Child Care Offices and Child Care Homes are routinely monitored and inspected by the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) every 5-12 months or more frequently if a report is received related to child abuse, neglect, or violations of DFPS minimum standards.


  • Registered Child Care Homes

    • Provide care for up to six children under the age of 14 in the caregiver’s home; they may also care for up to six more school-age children. The number of children allowed in the home is determined by the ages of the children. No more than 12 children can be in care at one time, including children of the caregiver.


  • Relative Care Providers

    • Some relatives care for children in addition to working outside the home. This relative must be available to provide child care during the times needed by the parent. The arrangement for child care is with that individual relative only, and the relative may not have someone else providing child care.


How Can I Become a Child Care Provider for Workforce Solutions?

To be Eligible

  • You must have a current license or registration with the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (TDFPS), the United State Military Services, or the Texas Department of state Health Services (TDSHS) as a child care center, licensed day care home, registered family home, or a youth camp

  • You may not be on corrective or adverse action or corrective denial with these agencies

 What is a Texas Rising Star Provider?

A Texas Rising Star Provider (TRSP) is a child care provider that has an agreement with the Middle Rio Grande Workforce Development Board’s child care contractor to serve subsidized children and voluntarily meets requirements that exceed the State’s Minimum Licensing Standards for child care facilities.

What is the TSR (Texas School Ready) Project?

  • A partnership among child care and early education programs

  • A teacher training program designed by the State Center for Early Childhood Development at the University of Texas Health Sciences Center

  • Uses research-based state-approved curriculum

  • Professional development for teachers through 20 two-hour face-to-face trainings, one to four hours of face-to-face mentoring per month in the classroom, and an online discussion-networking group with other preschool teachers


How do I choose child care?

Look for providers of child care that do the following:

  • Provide posts or have available a Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) permit or letter

  • CPR and First Aid training

  • Health and safety training

  • Good hand-washing practices

  • Daily review of indoor/outdoor environments

  • Fire extinguisher and/or smoke detectors

  • Fire drills practice

  • Child-proofing

  • Emergency or evacuation plans

  • Continuous child supervision

  • Nutritious meals and snacks


Have a question?  Looking to hire? Want to become a Child Care Provider?  Email or call us!


Phone: 830-591-0141


Information Officer: Ernest Flores